They say there are few things more stressful than moving home.
But we think that with some careful planning and excellent help, it can be a stress free experience. There are so many things that you need to keep track of when you’re moving house; there’s no way you’ll be able to remember everything.
That’s why we put together this Moving House Checklist to help you keep track of all the important steps along the way. This list covers all the important things that will help moving day go without a hitch.
4 Weeks before…
- Arrange your mail redirection.
- Inform regular subscription services of your new address.
- Notify utility suppliers of your move.
- Arrange for utility connections at your new home.
- Notify your local council and check if you are due a council tax rebate.
3 Weeks before…
- Consider plants and pets on moving day.
- Start to run down the contents of your freezer.
- Make a sketch plan of your new home to determine the placement of furnishings.
- Transfer insurance to cover contents at your new home.
2 Weeks before…
- Dispose of any flammables such as petrol.
- Rearrange your cable / digital television if appropriate.
- Inform friends and family of your new address.
1 Week before…
- Rearrange your telephone, TV and Internet service.
- Drain fuel from lawnmowers and other garden equipment.
- Pack / empty your loft and / or sheds or talk to us and we can do it for you.
1 Day before…
- Defrost the freezer.
- Take down pictures, mirrors, curtains and blinds.
- Disconnect your cooker, washing machine and dishwasher (if you need help please ask us, as we can help with this).
On Moving Day…
Relax and let us do all the work but remember to:
- Make sure plants are drained of excess water.
- Make sure you have personally taken cash and jewellery with you to your new home.
- Take meter readings at your old and new homes.
- Label keys ready for the new owners.